Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Week 3 Day 3

Today we focused on finishing the build for the table top artificial stream model. This involved a lot of time with all three of us running the Dremel and another trip to Lowe's. We started off with me finishing out the riffles. I learned from yesterday and made sure to wear my safety goggles.


I probably should have also worn a mask...


While I was working on that Lori was marking off the tubs and Joe was cutting them.





Once we had everything cut and ready we sanded down the edges and tried the PVC cement we got to bind things together. We ran into two problems during this process. First, the cement didn't create a good seal. We decided to fix that with JB WaterWeld and marine epoxy.



Second, the cardboard we had been using to elevate the tubs seemed unlikely to hold up the weight of the tubs with rocks and water so we cut down a sheet of 1/2" plywood to 1 foot sections and made platforms. Joe and Lori put their heads together to get the seals done.



We are going to let that set over night and then we will install the pump, add the rocks and fill it with water. I really hope it doesn't leak after all that work sealing it!


On a final note... here is a better picture one of the other groups took of me after getting iced with PVC dust... Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment